• Why would a narcissist leave their family and children and what should be done about it?
There are many reasons why someone with narcissistic tendencies may choose to leave their family and children. One of the primary traits of narcissism is being highly self-centered and prioritizing their own needs and desires above those of others, including their family members. If this is the case and life is getting stressful, they may choose to leave family behind while seeking a life that is less stressful. They may also struggle with feelings of inadequacy or insecurity, which can lead them to seek validation and attention from sources outside of the family.
In terms of what can be done about it, it’s important to focus on what you control. Unfortunately, while this is difficult and often feels very unfair, this often means trying to let go of the attempts to control the person who left. Some steps that you can take include:
- Seeking legal counsel for parenting rights and child support
- Utilizing one’s own support network and engaging in mental health therapy to work through feelings of anger, abandonment, hurt, or loss
- Focusing on providing support for your children, as well as connecting your children to mental health support if needed
- Setting boundaries with the parent who chose to leave
P.S. You should check out these leaving narcissist books at Amazon. (affiliate link)