• When the narcissist consistently puts their own needs and desires above yours.
It’s okay to be a little selfish sometimes, but when your partner is always putting themselves first, it can become exhausting. It’s like being in a relationship with a toddler who never learned how to share or compromise. If you find yourself constantly sacrificing your wants for theirs without any reciprocity, then it might be time to pack up and leave.
• When you feel like you are constantly walking on eggshells around them to avoid conflict or anger.
Have you ever felt like you’re living in an action movie where one wrong move could trigger an explosion? Yeah, that’s what it feels like being around a narcissist. You have to watch every word and gesture carefully because anything could set them off into rage mode. But let me tell ya – life shouldn’t be lived on edge all the time!
• When they gaslight or manipulate you into doubting your own thoughts, feelings, and experiences.
If there was an Olympic sport for mental gymnastics (and I’m not talking about Simone Biles), then narcissists would take home all the gold medals! They’ll twist reality until they convince you that everything is your fault and nothing is theirs. And before long, even basic truths will seem uncertain if they keep at it long enough.
• When they refuse to take responsibility for their actions and instead blame others or make excuses.
When things go wrong in the relationship (as they inevitably do), most people apologize for their part in it so both parties can work towards resolution together…but not our dear ol’ Narcy McSelfishpants! Instead of owning up to his mistakes he’d rather play hot potato with accountability until someone else takes over his problems while he sips margaritas by himself somewhere else.
• When being with them causes more stress than happiness in your life.
Stressful situations are unavoidable from time-to-time, but if you’re constantly feeling drained and unhappy around your partner then it’s time to reassess the relationship. Life is too short to waste on someone who doesn’t bring out the best in you.
• When they show little empathy towards your emotions and struggles.
Ever had a bad day at work or lost someone close to you? Well, don’t expect sympathy from a narcissist! They’ll either dismiss your feelings entirely or try to one-up you with their own sob story instead of offering support. It’s like trying to have an emotional conversation with Siri – pointless!
• When they belittle or demean you in front of others, making you feel embarrassed or ashamed.
Public humiliation isn’t just reserved for reality TV shows anymore! Narcissists love nothing more than putting down their partners in public because it makes them feel superior while also keeping their victim under control. If this sounds familiar, then run (don’t walk) away as fast as possible!
• When the relationship becomes emotionally draining rather than fulfilling.
Relationships should be mutually beneficial where both parties give-and-take equally; however when being with a narcissist feels like running through quicksand all day long without ever getting anywhere…that’s not healthy nor fun!
• When they consistently disrespect your boundaries and push you to do things you are uncomfortable with.
Boundaries are there for a reason –to keep us safe physically and mentally- so when our loved ones repeatedly ignore them we need ask ourselves why we’re still sticking around. Saying “no” shouldn’t lead into arguments every single time.
• When they make you feel guilty or ashamed for expressing your needs and desires.
It’s hard enough standing up for yourself sometimes without having someone else shamelessly guilt-tripping over basic human wants such as affection, quality time together etc.. But hey listen: You deserve better than that kind of treatment!
•When their behavior towards you becomes abusive, either emotionally or physically.
If you’re in a relationship that’s abusive then it’s time to leave. Period. Full stop. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
• When the relationship is one-sided, with all the effort coming from your side while they show little interest in meeting your needs.
Relationships are like teamwork: everyone has their own role to play and when someone consistently drops the ball (or never even picks up), then there’s bound to be problems down the line. If you feel like you’re doing all of the heavy lifting without any help from them…then maybe it’s time for some new team members!
• When they constantly seek attention and admiration from others at the expense of neglecting your emotional well-being.
It can be frustrating being in a relationship where everything revolves around someone else; especially if that person always seems more interested in getting likes on social media than spending quality time together face-to-face! It might seem harmless enough at first glance…but eventually those small things start adding up until we realize how much our self-worth was compromised along way.
•When being around them causes a decline in your mental health, leading to anxiety, depression, or other psychological issues.
Mental health is no joke -and neither should anyone who makes us feel worse off instead of better- so if something doesn’t feel right within ourselves after prolonged exposure with this kind of people…it may be worth re-evaluating whether continuing such interactions will ultimately benefit us long-term.
• When leaving seems like the only way to regain control over your life and find happiness again.
Sometimes walking away feels scary AF but staying put isn’t an option anymore because nothing changes unless we take action towards what really matters most –our own wellbeing-. So don’t let fear hold ya back darlin’!
P.S. You should check out these leaving narcissist books at Amazon. (affiliate link)